Driving and getting out and about in a car is often seen as a rite of passage and frequently taken for granted by the general population. At Williams OT, we want you to experience this too and that’s why we want to assist you to find the right solution for your needs.
At Williams OT it is in our DNA to help you experience:
- Time efficiency
All of this comes from finding you the right solutions.
Finding the right solution for you
An Occupational Therapy driver assessment is just like going to any medical practitioner or health provider. We complete an assessment to evaluate your needs and the presenting barriers. At Williams OT, our emphasis is on rehabilitation and finding solutions to help drivers drive. Below is our three step plan.
Complete a referral form so we can learn about you before your booking and get on our contact list.
Book in for your initial assessment where we can unpack your needs and barriers to driving.
Work with your Occupational Therapist to reach a goal that increases your ability to get from A to B.
Williams OT Occupational Therapists start with:
Williams OT has been specialising in assisting people to drive since 2011. This is our passion area and why we are on advisory councils and sought after by universities and outside agencies.
To understand more about the process and how a Williams OT Driver Trained Occupational Therapist can help, listen to episode 41 of the Drive-Able Podcast in the link below. In this episode, Brad Williams, CEO of Williams OT, is questioned about the assessment process and how an occupational therapist can be the hub to all of the available solutions to getting you on the road.
How we can help you
Your occupational therapist can help you:
- Find the right equipment to help you drive safely.
- Find the right equipment for modifications to help you get in and out of a car or van (including passengers) – learn more about Passenger and Community Mobility here
- Find the right equipment and vehicle modifications for your vehicle – for more information regarding Vehicle Modification click here
- Help find the right vehicle to meet your needs
- Help navigate licensing requirements with the Department for Infrastructure and Transport and medical specialist requirements – medical certificate information here
- Assist with gaining your learners permit for people that have difficulties with learning through traditional channels – find out more about specialised driving instruction here
- Develop lesson plans for specialised motor driving instruction or specialised occupational therapist/driving instructors – find out more about specialised driving instruction here
- Assist and apply for funding once the right solution for you has been found – Download our NDIS guide to driving here
- Educate you on the safe and appropriate use of any equipment prescribed difficulties getting access to the right knowledge and training strategies